Tuesday 17 January 2012

Essay on Codes and Conventions.

The magazine I have created follows the norm of codes and conventions that are portrayed in all magazines on shop shelves at this date. My magazine follows codes and conventions by making everything in it appeal to a certain audience. For example my target audience would be of the ages 16-29, this is portrayed through not only the visual design but also the featured content.
Starting with the visuals my magazine follows all codes and conventions of a professional magazine such as the front cover, contents, title page and double page spread. Starting with the colour scheme, the messy gritty down to earth feel of my magazine with a dark contrast representing the rebellious side to the audience and the white and red representing power and truth as well as honesty makes this colour scheme very successful and appealing to the eye. 
The front cover of my magazine features a masthead, large in size and bold enough to see from a far distance it states ‘MWS’ standing for ModernWaste. The masthead is in red with a stylish metallic look and has the full name of the magazine placed above it which is also very clear. We then move onto the background Image, I believe my background image is a very professional looking image, I intended this because this is the main focal point of any magazine and pretty much sells the magazine. I followed the codes and conventions when taking this picture to ensure i came away with a photo that would work, i used audience specific mise en scene to make the image appeal to the audience and make them feel as if they can relate to the picture and notice it as something they would like. My image is in black and white and at a high exposure rate making it bright and very eye catching, the picture features three young boys in a band called ‘Urban Kicks’ they are all dressed according to my theme indie and have the backdrop of graffiti showing the gritty urban city feel to the magazine itself. My magazine front cover follows all the norms of any other magazine such as including plugs and ears of competitions, special features inside and interviews and a barcode, price also in foreign currencies, date and issue number representing my product research and how i have followed all the C&C of a already produced magazine.
My Contents page also follows all the rules; I have a large contents page featuring most but not all of the pages as this is unnecessary and only the most important pages should be shown similar to a magazine on the shelf. I also featured another main image that draws in the audience as it yet again features mise en scene and my audience can relate to it. I have portrayed competitions and other forms of media to broaden what my audience can do and all these other forms of media to keep them entertained such as Apps, Games and Write in’s. This follows all the typical conventions of a magazine as yet again its relating to the audience and I similar to a real magazine as i have followed all the requirements needed.
My last two pages are the double page spread and the title page for it, these two pages use images and text at an advantage as they are on a larger page and the images are more easily spotted. The colour scheme is the same throughout my magazine and helps make a proper theme making the audience feel that is all one magazine and doesn’t feel like they are flicking through 5 different magazines at once. There is a large tag title featured in the middle of the page stating ‘I live off fame’ portraying what the article is about and who. The text featured is an interview similarly to real magazines and portrays a young and upcoming band and what they have got to say. Overall i believe i have followed all the norms or codes and conventions within my magazine as I want it to be as classy and professional as possible when i have finished it to the best of my ability.



No comments:

Post a Comment